When it comes to clearing acne, establishing a consistent skincare routine is key. By following a targeted and effective routine, you can address the underlying causes of acne and promote a clearer, healthier complexion. In this post we will walk you through the essential steps in a skincare routine designed to combat acne and help you achieve the clear skin you desire.
1) Cleanse: Start your routine with a gentle cleanser that doesn't have any active ingredients in it. Cleanse your face twice a day, in the morning and in the evening, to remove dirt, excess oil, and other impurities.
2) Tone: After cleansing, use a hydrating toner. Toners balance the skin's pH level, tighten pores and get your skin ready so your acne serums can penetrate better.
3) Treat: this step involves applying a targeted serum to address acne and promote skin healing and exfoliation. Use products that contain ingredients like benzoyle peroxide, salicylic acid, mandelic acid or retinoids to help reduce inflammation, unclog pores and promote cell turnover. Follow the instructions provided by the product and be sure to check the inactive ingredients for pore cloggers. If you need a pore clogger list you can find one here.
4) Moisturize: Even if you have oily or acne-prone skin, moisturizing is still crucial. Look for lightweight, oil-free, non-comedogenic moisturizers that provide hydration without clogging pores. Moisturizing helps maintain the skin's moisture balance, prevent dryness and support overall skin health.
5) Protect: Daily sun protection is essential to prevent further skin damage and protect against post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation. Choose a broad-spectrum sunscreen with an SPF of 30 or higher, preferably oil-free and non-comedogenic. Apply it generously to all exposed areas of your skin and reapply every two hours, especially if you're spending time outdoors.
6) Extras: Consider incorporating additional steps based on your skins needs. These may include exfoliation, using face masks or incorporating serums targeting specific concerns like hyperpigmentation or texture issues. However, be mindful not to overdo it and follow the recommended frequency and instructions for each product. Always start with the lowest percent when it comes to active ingredients.
Establishing a consistent skincare routine that addresses acne is a proactive approach towards achieving clear and healthy skin. There's a free workshop on putting together a routing if you're interested. Remember, results may take time, so be patient and consistent with your routine. Alongside your skincare routine, adopting a healthy lifestyle, managing stress and a balanced diet can further support your skin's clarity. With dedication and the right skincare routine, you can pave the way to a clearer, more confident you.